The GF Heads-Up, 7/21/2016
If you want to support the work we do, please check out the following links:
Articles of the week we think you should read!
- Guerrilla Feminist Focus: Brit Schulte – Guerrilla Feminism
- I’ve been organizing in Chicago for five years, before that I was active in Texas, where I’m from. Currently involved with the SlutWalk Chicago organizing collective & with a radical sex workers support collective called Support Ho(s)e. I’m also working on finishing my MA in Art History, and drafting my first book with my partner.
- Indiana trans woman shot in face by member of Christian hate group – LGBTQ Nation
- Crystal Raquel Cash, 55, cannot speak but is alive after being shot nearly point blank in the face by a man who Evansville, Ind. police say is a a member of a black separatist group.
- Hunger Makes Me – Hazlitt
- Women talk ourselves into needing less, because we’re not supposed to want more—or because we know we won’t get more, and we don’t want to feel unsatisfied. We reduce our needs for food, for space, for respect, for help, for love and affection, for being noticed, according to what we think we’re allowed to have. Sometimes we tell ourselves that we can live without it, even that we don’t want it. But it’s not that we don’t want more. It’s that we don’t want to be seen asking for it. And when it comes to romance, women always, always need to ask.
- One Of South India’s Most Popular Magazines Just Created History With A Trans Model On Its Cover – Buzzfeed
- Popular household magazine in Kerala, Vanitha, created history by having a transgender model on its July cover.
- The Real Reason Women Love Witches – The Establishment
- Practicing witchcraft almost feels like a girlhood rite of passage.
- US air strike in Syria kills nearly 60 civilians ‘mistaken for Isil fighters’ – The Telegraph
- A US air strike killed nearly 60 civilians, including children, in Syria on Tuesday after the coalition mistook them for Islamic State (Isil) fighters.
- Twitter Permanently Suspends Conservative Writer Milo Yiannopoulos – Buzzfeed
- Twitter has banned one of its most notoriously contentious voices. On Tuesday evening, the microblogging service permanently suspended the account of conservative commentator Milo Yiannopoulos, a day after he incited his followers to bombard Ghostbusters star Leslie Jones with racist and demeaning tweets.
- Video Shows Unarmed Black Man Pleading With Arms Raised Before Getting Shot by Police – Gawker
- On Wednesday, WSVN aired a cell phone video reportedly taken moments before caregiver Charles Kinsey was shot by North Miami police. In it, Kinsey, who survived, can be seen lying on the ground with his hands raised, explaining that him and the autistic man he was assisting are unarmed.
- #ShitAbledPeopleSay: Why this is one of the most important hashtags of 2016 – Storify
- Disabled or abled, everyone should check out the brilliance of this hashtag. Whether it is to find humor and community, feel less alone, or — specifically to able-bodied folks — learn what NOT to say/do!
- Montanans packed Native Americans into horrifying makeshift camp before big rodeo: lawsuit – RawStory
- The Daily Beast reported Thursday on the suit, filed in the Great Falls division of the U.S. District Court for Montana, which says that Native American homeless people and vagabonds were rounded up in a wave of spurious arrests and held in an open-air detention area to make the town appear “whiter” to tourists.